Title IX Defense
With the high stakes involved with any criminal charge, you need an experienced criminal trial attorney by your side. Attorney Shannon Drehner brings her years of experience as a chief felony prosecutor to defend you when you need it most. Don’t wait; contact us today.
Houston Title IX Defense Lawyer
Accused of Campus-Related Sexual Assault? Let Our Firm Protect Your Rights & Future!
Attending a university is one of the most important parts of a young person’s life. Not only are you preparing for your ideal line of work, but you also using your newly found freedom away from home to be more social and outgoing. Unfortunately, situations involving parties and drinking can often lead to sexual misconduct allegations and Title IX investigations. Colleges and universities in Texas must adhere to this federal law in order to punish offending students, faculty members, and anyone employed by the school and continue receiving federal funding.
If you or a loved one has been accused of a sex crime on a college or university campus in Texas, Drehner Law is ready to fight for you. Our Houston Title IX defense lawyer is a former felony prosecutor who has experience handling sex crime cases involving college students and understands how universities conduct Title IX investigations. Let us help you avoid serious penalties and get your life back on the right track.
Our firm handles Title IX cases across Texas, including, but not limited to, the following colleges and universities:
- Abilene Christian University
- Austin College
- Baylor University
- Rice University
- Texas A&M University
- Texas Christian University
- Texas Southern University
- Texas State University
- Texas Tech University
- The University of Texas at Austin
- The University of Texas at El Paso
- University of Houston
- University of Houston-Clear Lake
- University of Houston-Downtown
- University of Houston-Victoria
- University of North Texas
- University of St. Thomas
- University of Texas at Arlington
- University of Texas at Dallas
- University of Texas Health Science Center (UTHealth)
What is Title IX?
Title IX (Title 9) is a federal statute that prohibits sexual discrimination in educational institutions that receive federal funding. “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program receiving federal financial assistance.” This requires that educational institutions respond to and remedy unsafe educational environments. Failure to do so is a violation – that means a school could risk losing its federal funding. This statute covers sexual harassment and sexual violence. Sometimes an allegation of sexual misconduct may be a violation of both university policy and a crime.
The potential consequences for a student accused of a Title IX complaint include:
- Disciplinary probation
- Specialized treatment off-campus
- No contact orders
- Trespass from campus
- Prohibition of participation in university programs or activities
These consequences can be life-changing for a student. Title IX Attorney Shannon Drehner can help prepare you for every phase of the grievance process, including the investigation, hearing, and appeals if necessary.
For the grievance process, it is important to put together a convincing case that is supported by solid evidence. Usually, the timeline to resolve a Title 9 complaint is very short. With so much on the line, it’s important to aggressively investigate a claim so you can respond effectively when presenting your case. Attorney Shannon Drehner has experience both in investigating and in helping to present an effective response to an allegation.
Hire Our Title IX Defense Attorney in Texas Today
Not only do Title IX allegations possibly result in academic punishment, but they may also lead to criminal charges if the university panel determines you committed the alleged crime. That is why it is imperative to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to fight for you and ensure your right to due process is protected. Let our Texas Title IX lawyer provide you with high-quality and effective legal solutions.
Here are some of the key reasons why you should hire our Houston Title IX defense lawyer:
- Attorney Drehner can help you understand the legal process and navigate it effectively. She can explain your rights and obligations, as well as ensure that you are treated fairly and that your due process rights are respected.
- Our lawyer can provide you with legal expertise and help you build a strong defense. She can analyze the evidence against you, identify any weaknesses in the prosecutor’s case, and develop a strong defense strategy to counter the allegations.
- She can fight the allegations against you at hearings or even negotiate with the institution or the accuser’s representatives to achieve the most favorable outcome.
- Our attorney can provide emotional support throughout the process and help you cope with the challenges you may face.